No matter how well you take care of your teeth, it’s still possible to have problems that are out of your control. Gap teeth are one of these problems. If you have gaps between your teeth anywhere in your mouth, they can make you feel self conscious. This means you are less likely to smile as often as you should. It’s known that smiling is good for your overall well-being. So, not feeling able to smile can have a detrimental effect on the way you feel.
what causes gap between teeth?
There are several different reasons why gaps may be present between teeth:
- The size of the jawbone and the size of the teeth are not perfectly matched
- Teeth are missing, or are an unusual size. This can cause other teeth to move to compensate, creating gaps in various places
- The tongue presses against the front teeth when a person swallows. This can cause the front teeth to push apart over time
- Thumb sucking causes teeth to be pushed out of alignment.
- Gum disease causes the jawbone to weaken, allowing teeth to loosen and move.
Even if teeth gapping does not worry you, it’s still important to have the situation checked by a dentist. There could be an underlying cause which needs to be addressed in order to prevent damage to teeth.
Treatment modality for the gap between the teeth:
- Dental bonding:( composite veneering) :This is a quick and easy solution to gap teeth. A resin is applied to the teeth where there is a gap present. The main benefit of bonding is that it can usually be done during one quick visit to the dentist.
- Veneers: It is possible to correct some cases of gap teeth using veneers. A thin portion of enamel (very less 0.5-1 mm) is removed from the front of the tooth and is replaced with a porcelain veneer. The veneer can help to fill the gap between one tooth and the next. Veneers are tough and long lasting. However, unlike bonding resin, they are permanent.
- While bigger gap require orthodontic treatment.
So If you have a problem with gap teeth, call SURANA DENTAL CLINIC for help. We will carry out a thorough examination and discuss your options with you. We will help you to decide the best treatment for gap teeth in your case.